Wednesday, February 20, 2013

About "the Giver"

 

I gotta say this book is definitely interesting, it has a good plot but what really draws me in and keeps me reading (besides the fact that I have to for class lol) is the weird way they word certain things. Family unit instead of just family, comfort object instead of stuffed animal, a twelve instead of twelve-year-old.

I would get so tired of everything being pre-written, nothing is random. Your job, your wife, your kids, everything is chosen by someone else for you. If you disobey you get "release" from the community? I would have half a mind to just leave (ha ha). 

You don't get to have "stirring" or sexual/romantic feelings for the opposite gender? Now your pushing it. You have one dream about a girl and all of a sudden your on a pill regimen. And it's considered a job without honor to be a "Birth Mother," the one repopulating the community. By the way I noticed they didn't mention the position opposite to "Birth Mother" if you know what I mean.

But I don't think it's all bad. I would be thrilled that my children had direction, goals, something to look forward to in the future. The fact that failing school isn't an option and I know that my children would have some form of work waiting for them when they turn 12. Also pretty cool that they have something to represent each age; a certain jacket with buttons, hair ribbons, a bicycle. I feel like that would keep a kid looking always looking forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment