Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tuesdays With Morrie. Five stars!!


All the books that we got this semester are books I plan to keep and read again, but if there is one I would pick to read again first and many times after is, Tuesdays With Morrie. Mitch Albom did a great job of keeping it first person but to where the story was more about Morrie than himself. I think Morrie would be very proud of this book because it's completely focused on his message to the world. 

I think his message was clearly focused on LOVE first and most importantly, connection with loved ones and others around you and to keep from getting so wrapped up in the supposed "symbols of success" society has  pushed on us and just live your life as happily and fully as possible. I find love to be the most important idea because it's brought up so many times throughout the book and it truly is the one thing people can't go long without. You could have money, power, fame and fancy material objects likes cars, boats etc., but without love and someone to share that with, then those things don't mean much at all.


"Love wins, love always wins." - Morrie Schwartz (40)


The message also focuses on just slowing down and absorbing the world around you. Listen to people , find out more about the deeper level of people, their interests, fears, faith, what makes them happy, etc. See things on a different level and see things for what they really are, not just what they symbolize. Connect to the world and people in your life. I like to think this way too, but after getting into college I got so wrapped up in balancing school, work and my social life, I began to lose touch with that. Hopefully reading this book a few more times with help solidify this way of thinking in my mind for good. It's this kind of thinking that can open your mind to so many things, yourself to so many opportunities, and wisdom. With that, you can develop and maintain, purpose and meaning in your life.

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when their busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." -Morrie Schwartz

6 comments:

  1. I agree this book was really inspiring. I enjoyed reading all the quotes you picked from the book. I also enjoyed the pictures you choose and how you displayed this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I think this is a great book to add to my library. It is hard to not write about LOVE while talking about this book. The pages are riddled with love everywhere you turn, including when you slow down and listen to the things in the world around us... there is a strong element of loving ourselves in that. Nice write up Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a meaningful book full of experience that we can all take away from. Judging from what you have gone through in the recent past there is no doubt that you should find great meaning and even some awakening to the importance of what limited time we may have here on earth. I'm glad you are safe now Josh and I hope the contrast between war and school helps you find your way to a path of success and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you. This is one of the best books I have read. However, I do not read a lot, but if this were not a good book then I would have never finished it like so many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy: That's pretty much a 5 star review! Good to hear.

      Delete
  5. Wow. I might have to refer everyone to this thread next semester when they want to know what to expect from reading this book. I think that you guys are the best "advertisement" for why someone should read it.

    Josh you touched on a lot of the same quotes and ideas I found moving and powerful in the book. Love, connection, culture, etc. @Andrew makes a good point about contrasts in our lives.

    I agree with what you all have said here but hearing (reading) it from all of you makes it even more powerful & inspirational. Mitch Albom should read this blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete